From choosing appropriate footwear to making sure those backpacks aren’t overloaded, our easy back-to-school tips will ensure that your children have a happy and healthy start to the new term – plus the rest of the family can certainly benefit from our suggestions as well!
Summer’s over and it’s time to head back to school! At Alba, we know how important it is for children – especially younger ones, who are still growing – to take good care of themselves when the time comes to return to the classroom. That’s why we’re delighted to share our Chiropractors’ expert tips:
1) When studying, use a book stand so that your book is at eye level. This will decrease the amount of muscle strain on your neck. When sitting in class, sit far back on your chair with your ears, shoulders and hips in a straight line to maintain the optimal spinal curvature.
2) When returning to sports after the holidays, remember to spend extra time warming up, as it is easier to injure yourself after time off – remembering to stretch before and after.
3) Well-fitting and supportive shoes are required to maintain good spinal health, so seek advice from your local shoe shop.
4) Back pain in young children is on the rise and is commonly related to overloaded backpacks. Backpacks should weigh no more than 5-10 percent of their body weight, and both straps should be used.
5) Back pain in children can be related to a spinal curvature called a scoliosis, so remember that your local spinal practitioner can screen for this condition and advise on treatment. To book a FREE spinal health check with Alba for you or your child, telephone us on 0161 879 7701 or complete our web form here.